Re: Concrete-filled steel pipe beam-column flexural strength

Have you seen the design example of a circular column with a ring of bars around the perimeter. The example converts the bars into a steel ring. Very similar to your concrete filled pipe. Trying to remember where I came across the design example. Will look at work tommorrow.
James

From: "Dave Evans" <DEvans(--nospam--at)tnh-inc.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete-filled steel pipe beam-column flexural strength
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:19:56 -0900

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the calculation of the flexural strength of
a concrete-filled steel pipe beam-column using the 2002 LRFD
AASHTO Bridge Design Specs.  We're looking at a 72" diameter
pipe.  Axial loads are relatively small; flexure controls.

For D/t ratios larger than a certain amount, the nominal flexural
strength is equal to the composite section yield strength, Myc,
which is a function of the short-term and long-term composite
moduli of elasticity, among other factors.

Are the transformed moments of inertia of the concrete portion
based on the neutral axis at the geometric center of the pipe,
taking the entire concrete area (pi*d^4/64), divided by "n" and "3n"?

This doesn't really make sense since Myc is the strength at first
yield of the pipe...so the concrete on the tension side will be
cracked, and the neutral axis will be offset from the center.  On the
other hand, if cracking is to be considered, it is not crystal clear to
me what level of service(?) moment to use to calculate the short-
and long-term moduli.  Could be a nasty iterative procedure for the
short-term moduli.  Does anyone have references with worked
examples?  Does AISC have similar provisions for flexural strength
at large D/t?

Thanks,
Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.