Question on need to use "skip" live loads in 2-way slabs

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Cliff Schwinger wrote:

> I would like to get some opinions on whether "skip" live loads always
> have to be used when designing reinforced two-way floor slabs. (By
> "skip" live loads, I'm referring to determining "worse case"
> arrangements of live loads for computation of moments and shears in
> structural systems with continuous span floor framing members.)

.

.

.

> The reason I'm asking for opinions on this matter is that the "skip"
> live load requirement imposes a serious design penalty when designing
> two-way post-tensioned flat plate floor slabs for hotel structures.

Cliff,

I must be missing something.

If I understand “serious design penalty” to mean more rebar, I think you’d better do it.  I’ve always found it to have a significant effect on positive moments, which I know aren’t as pronounced in two way slabs as in beams, but still.

“Relying on the member’s ductility” is another way to say “I don’t mind a little cracking.”

Mike Hemstad, P.E.

TKDA

Saint Paul, Minnesota