From: "Timothy P. Spengler" <timothyps(--nospam--at)cleanpak.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: Flag Pole Footings.

I'm doing a  preliminary design for some flag pole footings that will
support an 2000 sq. ft house.  They're non-constrained with an allowable
lateral load of 300 pcf (That includes the increase of 2 allowed for 1/2"
deflection tolerance).  My design criteria is the 1997 UBC.

Everytime I've done a basic analysis on the flag pole footings just using
equation 6-1 of the UBC I've ended up with sizes that, in my opinion, appear
to be quite large.  Does anyone know of any "design tricks" that could be
employed to reduce these footing sizes?

Thanks.

Tim Spengler SE