Re: Cross-grain Tension

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Turk
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 8:04 AM
Subject: Re: Cross-grain Tension

Another thought Roger.

Would you consider lag screws, designed for longitudinal shear and withdrawal forces, across the split, "mechanical reinforcement"?

Thor

Thor,

Your response to Daryl indicates a different situation other than just cross-grain tension.  What you are describing is a notch, and the theoretical tension stress at a reentrant corner is *infinity*, (see any theory of elasticity text) which is why glass breaks so cleanly when it is scored.

While the codes do permit such notches and kerfs, I will not accept them without mechanical reinforcement.  I have seen splits start at these notches in lightly loaded residential rafters, and if the slope of the grain is upward, extend to the top of the rafter.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona