single plate shear connection edge distances

I'm trying to confirm the plate dimensions to be used for single plate shear connections using 1" diameter bolts.  Table J3.4 of the latest AISC Manual page 16.1-63 (I'm actually looking at the LRFD 3rd edition - I can't believe it either) indicates 1 3/4" at sheared edges (1 1/4" at other edges) with a note that says 1 1/4" is permitted at the ends of beam connection angles and shear end plates. I assume that they really mean "shear end plates" and not just "shear plates", but could be wrong.

The single plate shear connection tables for 1" bolts use plate lengths that assume a 1 1/2" edge distance in both directions.  Was the note in table J3.4 intended to include shear plates as well as shear end plates or is it OK to assume that plates are not sheared?  The problem is similar for the 1 1/8" bolts, but the note does not apply to 1 1/8" bolts.  The tables also indicate that they are applicable to short slotted holes.  For 1 1/8" diameter bolts in short slotted holes at a sheared edge, according to Table J3.4, the edge distance would be 2" and I would add 3/16" for the slot according to Table J3.6, resulting in and edge distance of 2 3/16", but the tables are using 1 1/2".  What is the piece of the puzzle that I am missing?

This problem came up because the software that we are using (Descon) does not allow us to use a plate configuration that matches the tables.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates