Re: Design of Anchorage to Concrete

Scott-
Simpson shows how to install the their SSTB anchor bolts in some detail, so we typically don't worry about the foundation bolts and anchor bolts with StrongWalls. The underlying foundation is usually checked for moment capacity and soil bearing.  Your requirement for the engineer to design the bolting opens a can of worms--as Verne has experienced.  Am I missing something here?
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Scott Soule wrote:
Verne-
In general, the shear panel manufacturer is not privy to many of the project-specific details and has no input/control over the foundation design and installation.  We can (and do) provide you with the anchorage forces that are generated and give some options for anchor bolt selection, but the design of the concrete foundation is generally left to the engineer of record.  (As it is with Simpson)

Each manufacturer's code report and literature should be consulted to see how far they go into the foundation design.  Typically, other than example calculations, the design and testing stops at the concrete surface.   It might be worth investigating what anchorage design is truly provided by any shear panel manufacturer.

Hope this answers your question...If not, let me know and I'll give it another shot.

Scott Soule,  S.E.

VerneK(--nospam--at)aol.com 10/25/02 09:20PM >>>

Scott,
Thanks for your response.  I met with an engineer at Trusjoist the other day
and
she was the one that first brought this issue up with me.  I have one
question
for you.  Why wasn't the entire assembly TJ shear panel + holdown bolts
tested together (i.e. Simpson Strong-Wall) and included as a whole in your
ICBO report? ... rather than have the engineer design the bolts.

Verne