RE: Question on need to use "skip" live loads in 2-way slabs

Skip live load update:

Regarding my question the need to use skip live loading when designing
two-way slabs (post-tensioned flat plates in particular), it appears
that skipping the live load results in about 5 to 10% higher punching
shear stresses at exterior columns and a bit more mild reinforcing
steel. Tendon quantities were not affected in the runs I've done so far.
(If I wanted to, I could add a couple tendons in order to get the mild
reinforcing steel back to where it was.) None of the shear stress
increases resulted in overstresses (for this particular building).

The differences were not as substantial as I thought they might be.

I am still trying to figure out if I'm in the clear following ACI 318's
provision that permits engineers to ignore skipping the live load when
the live loads are sufficiently small. Why would this provision continue
to show up in ACI 318 (every time it is updated) if none of the building
codes ever permit it to be used?

Cliff Schwinger