Baseplate Anchorage

I've got a project where some industrial equipment is being relocated.  Rather than cut the baseplates loose, the owner wants to cut off the existing anchor bolts and then move the equipment to the new location.  The supporting legs, with baseplates still welded on, will then be set onto new (larger) baseplates and the 2 plates welded together.

For the new baseplate, they want to weld "j-hooks" to the bottom of the plate to eliminate any projection through the baseplate.  I'm somewhat concerned about whether they will actually use weldable material (no matter what I spec) and how good a weld can really be achieved this way.  Obivously there is no way to inspect the assembly after the concrete has been cast.

In lieu of anchor bolts, I'm considering using vertically oriented angles or channels so that the weld length is substantially longer.  Any thoughts or other suggestions?  Each leg is subject to about 75 kips of uplift (service load).

M. David Finley, P.E.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025
386-752-6400