Baseplate Anchorage

Dave,

It sounds like they want to "punch" the anchors into plastic concrete. My
GSN specifically prohibits this as it always leaves a void above whatever
projection the anchor uses to engage the concrete.

With 75 kips uplift, you have to engage 750 cu. ft. of concrete to provide
uplift resistance and I wouldn't want to take the chance of a void being
above or alongside any anchor.  Nor would I want to rely on bond on
vertically oriented angles for this amount of uplift.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

David Finley wrote:

. > I've got a project where some industrial equipment is being relocated.
. > Rather than cut the baseplates loose, the owner wants to cut off the
. > existing anchor bolts and then move the equipment to the new location. The
. > supporting legs, with baseplates still welded on, will then be set onto
. > new (larger) baseplates and the 2 plates welded together.

. > For the new baseplate, they want to weld "j-hooks" to the bottom of the
. > plate to eliminate any projection through the baseplate. I'm somewhat
. > concerned about whether they will actually use weldable material (no
. > matter what I spec) and how good a weld can really be achieved this way.
. > Obivously there is no way to inspect the assembly after the concrete has
. > been cast.

. > In lieu of anchor bolts, I'm considering using vertically oriented angles
. > or channels so that the weld length is substantially longer.  Any
. > thoughts or other suggestions?  Each leg is subject to about 75 kips of
. > uplift (service load).

. > M. David Finley, P.E.