From: John Diebold [mailto:Jdiebold(--nospam--at)SanDiego.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 11:00 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel Tips and Deep Columns for SMRF

Thanks for this update!

Its good to see that Deep Columns are being given
the credit they deserve!  I suspect that the testing results
will be at least as good as that for the 14" columns, once
the proper test model is used.

I designed a SMRF project with deep columns
approximately 3 years ago, prior to the restrictions of
FEMA 350, and used Dr. Uang's limited test data and
input in working through the design.   I've always felt
that the limited funds spent under SAC and FEMA gave the
deeper columns the shaft.   I'm looking forward to the
future test data being published!