Re: Monolithic Concrete Pouring

If my memory is serving me correctly, I came across a similar issue back in 96 on a thick pool footing (7 feet thick) that I had intended to be a monolithic mass pour. The ACI states that the construction documents are to indicate large mass (monolithic) pours. I had to get out the 5 volume ACI set to come across this. Mass pours have, if my memory serves me correct, some built in requirements that must be adheared to such as concrete temperature, etc. We did get our mass pour but it cost the owner some additional money for chilled water and a lot of confrontation. A 7-day moist cure was utilized for heat of hydration concerns and cracking.

Your case does not appear that you called for a mass pour. Contractor needs to submit a deveation from the construction documents and pay you for your time if they want to deviate it seems

From: "Dennis Del Villar" <ddelvillar(--nospam--at)nesic.com.ph>
To: "SEA - Structural Engineer's Association (E-mail)" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Monolithic Concrete Pouring
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:32:16 +0800

Can anybody please expound the meaning of "MONOLITHIC" concrete pouring?

We have a mat foundation of a 3-legged communication tower to be concrete poured. We plan to pour concrete on the mat footing first (60 cu.m.) then the pedestals ( 3.5 cu.m./pedestal) only after the footing had set for about 24 hours. But the client's inspector, in order to squeeze the construction schedule, insisted to have the foundation "monolithically" poured (i.e. concrete pouring of the footing and pedestal all at the same time without consideration of the initial setting). We argued that this is not the standard practice in construction. Are we missing something here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dennis S. Del Villar
NESIC Philippines, Inc.
Tel Nos: 063-2-891-41-67/87, loc.176
Fax No: 063-2-891-41-61
E-mail : < <mailto:ddelvillar(--nospam--at)nesic.com.ph>>