Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: SE Exam

Gerard:
Those last three problems were not bad just long in calc's.  I did not complete the wood or masonry entirelybecause that concrete problem was worth 210 points.  The other two were worth 220.  The detail drawings were worth 50% of the calc points. I read the question as the given loads were factored, but based on other peoples answers I should have multiplied the given loads by omega.  I had 11 # 11's at bott and 6 #11 at top from calc's . We were given a 24" wide beam.  I drew & called out 2 rows of 5 bars and 1 row of two bars.
Wrote that I should recheck 55" for d and the test ended with 5 seconds to spare.

I think we had a base plate design LRFD in the MC section of the test.

I started the brace frame problem up to finished sizing the TS8x8x.5 and realized that they were askinf for a special not ordinary...... recovered from that mistake.

Joe Venuti

Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA