Re: SE Exam - Preparation

Hello:

I am planning on taking the SE exam in an year in  SOCAL and would like to have some input from people who are in the similar process:
1.  did u take any review courses

NO. I HEARD THEY ARE JUST WASTE OF MONEY/TIME. JUST LISTENING TO EXPERTS WILL NOT HELP YOU ANYTHING. YOU GOT TO GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!

2.  which review books were the most useful - I am aware of the Chelapathi books.

I BOUGHT CHELAPATI BOKS, BUT NEVER HAD TIME TO OPEN THEM. THESE BOOKS ARE OUT DATED. YOU CAN STUDY THEM WELL BEFORE EXAM BUT NOT WEEKS BEFORE THE EXAM.

3.  did u buy all the reference books? - i want to slowly start buying some books/codes

BUY ALL THE CODE, PARTICULARLY CBC VOL2, ASD, LRFD, NDS. SEAOC MANUALS ARE MUST-HAVES. ALSO GET A CURRENT CMU DESIGN MANUAL AND BRYERS WOOD DESIGN BOOK.

4.  Any good website / web boards to get and exchange information?

NO, EXCEPT PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING BOARD WEBSITE PROVIDES EXAM RELATED INFO.

5.  CODE: are the problems refereced from the CBC or the UBC?

FOR SOME QUESTIONS, CBC SPECIFEID BUT MOSTLY UBC.

if CA adopts the 2003 IBC then it when do u think the board will adopt this into the exam?
-

6.  does anyone have experiece with the board in trying to petition with the board to take the exam before the 3 year period from the PE registration?

YOU CAN COUNT FROM THE DAY YOU TOOK YOUR PE Exam. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE BOARD.

GOOD LUCK!

You input will be much appreciated.

Hari