RE: Camber in Long Span Joists

You have to figure it out.  The information at the start of the tables
tells you how to figure the approximate moment of inertia.  Then you have
to decide how much dead load to include in calculating the deflection.  If
I am concerned about connecting the roof deck to an end wall I use only the
weight of the joist and the deck - if I am concerned about roof drainage, I
use my best guess as to what the dead loads will actually be.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.