Re: FW: General Building Code Question

Part of the difference may be that ACI 318 directly references the
Appendicies in the main body of the code.  To be honest, I don't recall if
the NDS does the same.  The potential result (which I suppose can be
debated by someone smarter than me) is that since the main body of the
ACI code references the ACI 318 Appendicies, then the model building code
gets them by default unless they provide some direct exception to the
using the Appendix.

This would be consistent why what your code staffers are saying, at least
in my opinion.  Basically, if the model building code specifically
adopts/references ACI 318 which is specifically adopting/referencing it's
own appendicies (which in effect make it part of the 318 document), then
it would seem that the model building code is specifically also adopting
the appendicies unless they provide an exception.  This is especially true
of the new Appendix A (strut and tie method).  For example, section 11.8.2
of ACI 318-02 directly points to the Appendix A.  It states:

"11.8.2 - Deep beams shall be designed using either nonlinear analysis as
permitted in 10.7.7.1, or Appendix A."

This to me makes the Appendix A provisions directly part of the ACI 318
code and would mean that they would become part of the 2003 IBC unless the
IBC specifically adds a provisions that excludes the use of Appendix A.

There are similar direct references in the main body of the ACI 318 code
to Appendix B, C, and D if I recall correctly.

But, then of course, I am no lawyer, so what do I know!! <grin>

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI