General Building Code Question

Scott Maxwell wrote:

>>Jake,

>>FYI, ACI 318-02 has been adopted by the 2003 IBC...at least that is what I understand.  I don't know what "tweaks" they >>may or may not have done, but they shold be rather few.

>>Regarding, the changed load factors and the unified design...using them with ACI 318-99 is not in violation of that code.  >>Those provisions ARE in the 1999 ACI 318 (and the 1995 ACI 318 as well), but are just contained in Appendix B and C.

They aren’t the same.  318-99 Appendix C had considerably lower phi (strength reduction) factors to go with the lower load factors.  318-02, in mainstreaming the lower load factors of ASCE-7, jacked the phi factors back up to previous levels, resulting in considerably less conservative designs.

Considering the rather pompous argument made in the last paragraph of the 318-99 Appendix C Commentary, I was very surprised to see the abrupt about-face 318-02 made in raising the phi factors back up to previous values.

Mike Hemstad

TKDA

Saint Paul, Minnesota