concrete column tie configuration

I have a 12 vertical bar column (4 bars each face) that I need to wrap ties around.  I am looking at page 35 of ACI 315-99 and would like to know if I am allowed to use one full loop (around the four outside corners) with individual diagonal 2-bar ties to tie each of the second bars from the corner.  (The middle bars on each face would not be tied, but I know that this is OK if my maximum spacing is 6".)  These 2-bar ties would be like the two bar ties shown on many of the other details - with one side having a 90 degree hook and the other having a 135 degree hook and alternating the ends, but the only difference would be that they would be diagonal instead of completely across the column.  I would be happy to e-mail (or fax) an autocad detail of what I am trying to describe if anyone is interested.  If it matters, the project is in MD - no high seismic issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.