3x single studs @ abutting panels

In my neck of the woods, Seismic zone 3, the building department will accept
two 2x studs nailed together as an acceptable alternate to a "single 3 inch
nominal member" as called for in footnote 3 of table 23-II-I-1 for shear
walls with v> 350 plf. While this solution does appear to meet the intent of
the code, it fails strict interpretation. Any feedback is appreciated.

Nick Bingham