From: C Chan [mailto:seaint_list(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 11:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 3x single studs @ abutting panels

I think the main intention of the code is to prevent splitting of 2x studs when nail spacings are closer and nail sizes are bigger at abutting panels. As long as the double studs are nailed properly to allow shear transfer from one panel to other, code intent should have satisfied. Just my 2 cents.

 Nick Bingham <NickB(--nospam--at)QuadKnopf.com> wrote:

In my neck of the woods, Seismic zone 3, the building department will accept
two 2x studs nailed together as an acceptable alternate to a "single 3 inch
nominal member" as called for in footnote 3 of table 23-II-I-1 for shear
walls with v> 350 plf. While this solution does appear to meet the intent of
the code, it fails strict interpretation. Any feedback is appreciated.

Nick Bingham

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* without your permission. Make sure you visHotJobs - Search new jobs daily now