Re: 3x single studs @ abutting panels

Nick Bingham wrote:

In my neck of the woods, Seismic zone 3, the building department will accept
two 2x studs nailed together as an acceptable alternate to a "single 3 inch
nominal member" as called for in footnote 3 of table 23-II-I-1 for shear
walls with v> 350 plf. While this solution does appear to meet the intent of
the code, it fails strict interpretation. Any feedback is appreciated.

Nick Bingham

I think this has been approved in Anchorage Ak as part of retrofits. I am not sure if the Building Dept has allowed it for new construction unless the contractor messed up and this was approved as a fix. The requiremtnet for 3x framing is for shear transfer at the panel edges. It would seem acceptable to use 2-2x nailed together with 16d at the required nailing to get the forces to transfer at the panel edges.