UBC 1633.2.4

I have a moment frame building in Seismic Zone 1 that has non-load bearing
exterior CMU walls (supported entirely on the foundation).

Can I consider the exterior wall to be an adjoining rigid element
(1633.2.4.1) or does it have to be considered and exterior element
(1633.2.4.2)?

It seems that it makes a BIG difference in how you attach the CMU wall back
to the steel structure.  It looks like you can rationalize that if the
failure of an adjoining rigid element doesn't impair an independently
designed steel moment frame, then you can IGNORE the requirements for
slotting a connection horizontally.  Is that right?  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Peter Griem, P.E.
Glastonbury, CT