Re: UBC 1633.2.4

That seems to make sense to me.  You should keep in mind, however, that if
you do not provide the slotted hole (or someother mechanism for relative
movement) then your exterior wall WILL take some of the lateral load up to
some point when it "fails" and loses its stiffness (due to the fact that
your exterior CMU wall is likely much stiffer than your moment frame).
Thus, to me at least, you seem to be creating more work for yourself by
having to analyze how the CMU walls attracting lateral load affects the
behaviour of your structure.  It seems much easier to supply some type of
connection that will allow relative movement between the moment frame and
the CMU walls (i.e. 1633.2.4.2), especially if you are talking about a low
rise building with CMU walls that are stacked from the foundation.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI