How Strong is A7 Structural Steel?

Tom,

A7 steel had a yield of 33 ksi, with a working stress in flexure of 16, 18,
or 20 ksi, depending on when the structure was built. (.5, .55, .6 times
yield)

A7 had no limitation on carbon content, so in that respect it was not
"weldable."  However, a lot of A7 steel has been welded with no apparent
problems.

If you can post more specific details, I (and others) will research our
archives and try to get some more information for you.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Tom Bodkin wrote:

. > I am evaluating the ability of an existing roof to handle a new air
. > handling unit.

. > The old plans call the steel beams out to be 12 WF 27, 21 WF 82, and 24 WF
. > 100.  The note on the old plans say O.H. Steel ASTM A7.  I seem to recall
. > that this designation implied that the steel yield strength is 30ksi vice
. > 36ksi.  Is this correct?

. > Thomas W. Bodkin, E.I.T.
. > Carroll Engineering Corporation