Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: ACI or CRSI question-answer center

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Scott,

Your explanations are all fine and understandable.  Yet somehow, wood,
masonry, and steel, and all of their supporting associations manage to do
all that you say and still provide excellent technical assistance to all of
us dummies.  It is no wonder that I avoid concrete like the plague.  I have
to do footings in concrete, but that is it.  I always steer clients away
from concrete elements or concrete for any kind of repairs.  Even if I know
that I am not going to need technical assistance.


Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA


----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 4:06 PM
Subject: RE: ACI or CRSI question-answer center


> An interesting response...while you are very likely correct on the facts
> (i.e. timeliness in response, bureaucracy, etc) and as a result from your
> prospective the critism may be valid, I am fortunate enough to have a
> slightly different perspective.
>
> Have you considered that first of all ACI staff engineers first job
> responsibility is NOT answering technical inquiries from people (members
> and non-members alike)?  Or that ACI staff engineers get large numbers of
> technical inquiries?  Could it be that they don't like to answer calls
> directly, right away but rather want the questions in writing because they
> are not able to answer right away becasue they just might be doing
> something else at the at moment, including even responding to someone
> else's question(s)?  And do you factor in that some of those questions are
> some homeowner that calls ACI with the desire that someone at ACI design a
> fix for their cracked driveway or basement wall that they weren't willing
> to call an engineer to design a solution for because it would cost money?
> Or have you considered that ACI staff must be a little more careful with
> their response because many people asking the question likely think
> (wrongly) that a response from an ACI staff engineer is an official, "word
> of God" response on the matter, when in reality it is worth no more than a
> response from you or me?  Have you considered that the primary function of
> ACI is different than that of CRSI or PCA which can change the priorities
> of the staff engineer at the various organizations?
>
> The point is that an ACI staff engineer's primary responsibility is to
> help and support the 100 or so ACI technical committees, including
> attending meetings, sometimes acting as secretaries, reviewing documents
> from committees, making sure that ACI procedures are being followed by
> the committees, attend the conferences, and other general things to aid
> the committees.  They also do technical edit passes of CI articles, deal
> with peer reviews of the manuscripts for the ACI Journals, deal with ACI
> SPs, and other miscellanous items.  Oh, they also response to technical
> inquiries from everyone.  And they typically do this with 5 or less
> engineers (they currently are at four staff engineers and have been at 2
> or three for much of the last year or two).  The end result is that they
> don't sit around and wait for a call from you or me so that they can
> answer a question that in many cases the person was a little too lazy (or
> busy themselves) to research and look for themselves or supply the answer
> that you or I already knew but wanted to believe that the ACI person could
> gives us the "official" answer...they actually are likely doing something
> else at the time and are not in a position to answer right then and there.
> The positive side for the person answering the question is that you are
> likely going to get a more thorough response on wear to get the need
> information because they will take some time to look for it before they
> get back to you, which means that you will have some nice publication that
> you can use to have your "official" answer.
>
> Now, having said all that, I don't want to give the impression that
> responding to technical inquiries was a burden when I was a staff
> engineer.  In fact, it was my favorite part of the job.  It was like
> getting paid to participate on this list.  Nor does it change the fact
> that we could have done things better...that is part of the reason why it
> is desired that you send in your questions in written fashion so that they
> can track what the question is, when it came in, and when it was responded
> to.  The tracking system allows them to make sure that they have
> responded, but will also allow them to figure out ways to be more
> efficient in responding to commonly asked questions (after they determine
> which are the commonly asked questions).
>
> And you do not directly pay for this service (since you are a member, your
> are indirectly paying for it, which is why they place a question from a
> member as a high priority and will get a quicker response).
>
> HTH,
>
> Scott
> Ypsilanti, MI
>
>
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Roger Davis wrote:
>
> > CRSI is much more helpful than ACI or at least they use to be. I haven't
> > called them for quite a while.  The last number I have is 847/517-1200.
> >  When I have called them I have spoken to an engineer immediately and  I
> > have gotten an answer immediately - and at no cost.  I am a member of
ACI
> > and have asked them for help at times also.  There is more bureaucracy
to
> > get through at ACI - sometimes you can get an answer relatively quickly,
> > sometimes you can't.  CRSI definitely has a more customer friendly
> > attitude.
> >
> > Roger C. Davis
> > Architect
> > SDS Architects, Inc.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Ken Peoples [SMTP:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
> > Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 11:59 AM
> > To: Seaint
> > Subject: ACI or CRSI question-answer center
> >
> >  << File: ATT00016.htm >> I know that AISC has the steel solutions
center
> > and am very thankful for this.  Do any of you know if ACI or CRSI has
> > anything similar?
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
> > Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
> > 1584 Weaversville Road
> > Northampton, PA 18067-9039
> > Phone: (610) 262-6345
> > Fax: (610) 262-8188
> > e-mail: kpeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net
> >
> >
> >
> > ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> > *   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> > *
> > *   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
> > *   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
> > *   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> > *
> > *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> > *
> > *   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
> > *   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
> > *   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
> > *   site at: http://www.seaint.org
> > ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********
> >
>
>
> ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> *   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> *
> *   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
> *   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
> *   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> *   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
> *   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
> *   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
> *   site at: http://www.seaint.org
> ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********
>


******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
* 
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********