RE: Connections of Tension and Compression Members in Trusses

>AISC 9th edition Section J1.5 specifies a minimum connection strength
>of "...not less than 50% of the effective strength of the member...".  I can't
>find anything similar in the LRFD spec.  Has this been removed?  I can
>understand how this could be misunderstood and misused and would not
>argue with anyone wanting to remove it.

It was removed. The 50% requirement was historic and was intended as a reasonable requirement to allow for the incidental loadings of handling, shipping, etc. However, the 50% did not ensure that handling, shipping, etc. forces would be adequately allowed for. Nor did it recognize that some joints are field assembled and would not need it.

Charlie