RE: large diameter pipe splice design

>I need to design some large diameter (12" to 30") pipe
>splices - with bolted end plates.  The joints will be
>subjected to both bending and tensile loads.  Can anyone
>direct me to some design examples?  I have the HSS
>manual, but they do not have much beyond pure tension
>splices.

I think you could use the HSS Manual examples asa guide in the tension zone of your splices and then make the splice similar in the compression zone (probably have tension there to when the wind blows the other way, right?).

EXCEPT! The presence of shear will affect the design, particularly for the bolts, which will have shear-tension interaction. So you'd have to adapt the design to acount for the effect of shear.

Alternatively, perhaps the Packer and Henderson book on HSS Connections has more extensive information along the lines of what you seek. I don't have it with me to be able to say for sure.

Charlie