RE: ACI or CRSI question-answer center

An incident with CRSI impressed me a long time ago.  I called and talked to
Paul Rice, head of CRSI.  He has died since then.  His loss was a big one
for the industry.  He may have even answered the phone, they aren't
overstaffed either.  I asked him a question about one of the code
provisions regarding effective length of columns.  I told him how I was
interpreting the code and what I thought was wrong with it.  He thought
about it and he agreed with me.  He couldn't understand why my
interpretation was wrong.  He said he would check on it and get back to me.
 He talked to Al Gouwens and Edward Hoffman or Chester Seiss who were on
the ACI 318 committee.  My notes are unclear as to whether he talked to
Hoffman or Seiss but I recorded that Gouwens agreed with what I thought was
correct even though the code said otherwise.  Gouwens suggested and Rice
concurred that even though the code seemed to be unreasonably conservative
with regard to this question, I should follow through with what the code
said.  I didn't get the answer I wanted, but I was very impressed with the
way CRSI responded to me.  I have had other good experiences with CRSI; but
none as memorable as that one.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.