Welding of Crane Runways

I am involved with a problem where a new crane runway was designed using a wide flange
beam and cap channel with welds spaced at 9" apart.  There is a requirement in the
Canadian code for welding that forbids intermittent welds in dynamically loaded
structures except in compression zones and then those welds must not be spaced any
further apart than 6" or 12 times the thickness of the thinner part, whichever is less.

I have tried to find out where this requirement came from.  A few of my compatriots
have suggested that it came from the AWS specification for structural welding.  If so,
does anybody know the rationale behind it?  Incidentally, the stresses in the welds
and base metal are relatively low.

Thanks,
Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON