Re: Comparison of the behavior of a conventional steel system with a more contemporary composite system including the use of "super columns"

Alex,

I believe what you are describing are typically called "Concrete Filled Tubes" and sometimes abbreviated as "CFT".  If you do an internet search you will find numerous articles especially from Berkeley.  You will also find design requirements from ACI and/or AISC.  The Canadian code has some design requirements but is especially good for determining fire requirements.  As a side note, if your structure is braced you may be able to get away with no rebar inside the tube however it is normally required for moment frames.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Alex Candelaria <ceeseven(--nospam--at)pacbell.net>

11/03/2002 10:04 PM
Please respond to seaint