UBC 97 Anchorage to Concrete

Title: UBC 97 Anchorage to Concrete

I am getting a difference in opinion on the calculation of Ap in UBC 97 Section 1923 Anchorage to Concrete and would like the list's opinion.  For discussion sake, assume a 24"x24" block of concrete in plan with an anchor bolt located 3 inches from the south and west edges and embedded 12 inches.  Is the area Ap equal to a circle with a 3 inch radius (corresponding to 3 inch edge distance)?  or is it equal to the overlapping area of a 12 in. diameter circle and the block of concrete (a circle with two sides cut off)?  I personally believe it is the latter, as it represents a more realistic pullout cone.

David
Los Angeles