Re: ACI 318 11.4.2.2 - Defintion of Vp in Eq. 11-12 (Prestressed Concrete Design for Shear)

Bill,

Yes...your interpretation is consistant with my understanding.

And my text book on prestressed concrete (by Naaman) would concur with you
that it is not a trival thing to compute.  From my text book:

"The computation of the values of vci and vcw, given by the above
expressions, is time-consuming, especially as several sections along the
span must be considered."  (Note that Eq 11-12 is what is being referred
to as vcw)

My text book then proceeds to point back to the fact that if fpe is not
less than 0.40*fpu, then you can use Eq 11-9, but I am assuming that that
is not an option for you since you are asking the question.

You also have the additional alternative that appears right after eq
11-12...some blather about principle tensile stress of 4*sqrt(f'c) at the
centroidal axis of the member when under the dead load plus live...blah,
blah...it was making my head hurt, so I was not willing to try and sit
down to figure out specifically what it meant at this point.  Hell, it is
FRIDAY night!!

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI