From: Mike Zaitz [mailto:mzaitz(--nospam--at)hgbd.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 11:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Brick Shelf Angles

Hello

What are the standards for deflection of brick supporting members?  Typically we design lintels for l/600 (standard lintels above windows, etc.).  If you apply this same criteria to for multi story buildings where you support the brick at each story or every other story it causes the beams (mainly the girder beams) to get MUCH heavier (easily doubling the weight per foot of the member).  Is there any other rules of thumb or guidance on this subject?  I have consulted Steel Design Guide 3 from AISC and was curious what others did?

Thanks

Mike