From: PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 9:07 AM
To: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: anchor bolts

thanks to your response to my question, but i am looking for a little more
information.

i understand the difference in action between the anchor bolt and rebar. i
am
wondering whether one take advantage of an anchor bolt failure cone
overlapping confined rebar in the top of a column or pilaster to increase
the
allowable tension of an anchor bolt group to something approaching the
capacity of a single anchor not considering the anchor bolt edge distance or

group affects. it would seem that a deep cone (say 36" to 48") would engage
the rebar at the base of the cone and then transfer the force over the
development length of the rebar.
light pole anchor bolts often have very deep (48" or more)  embedment in
concrete pilasters and this seems like part of the reason.

any thoughts?

thanks paul franceschi