From: "Timothy P. Spengler" <timothyps(--nospam--at)cleanpak.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 7:17 AM
Subject: RE: Roof Equipment

If the rooftop equipment is considered flexible, as defined by the code,
then there's no question about it, by current code that's what you need to
use.  I don't know the specifics behind your situation, but my experience
has been that most roof top mounted equipment can be defined as rigid,
resulting in a a.p of 1.0.  The blue book provides some additional guidance
on this matter, but my take on it is that the specific question as to
whether the equipment is truly flexible or rigid is a rather difficult one
to answer.  It seems unfortunate that going conservative on this
interpretation results in such a substantial design hit.

As a side note, there has been considerable discusion that the multiplier of
3.0, shown in formula 32-2 of the UBC, should actually be 2.0 as shown in
the IBC's equivalent formula.  While to the best of my knowledge an errata
has never been issued from the UBC that would officially correct this, some
building officials have told me they would be willing to accept designs
based on this reduced formula.

Tim Spengler SE
Portland, Oregon