Re: Questions About the Events of September 11th (off topic)

I think you get me wrong.
I don't buy what they say. It's too much to take.
What I am interested in is how the building collapsed
structually. That's why I put this issue on this
board.
Did you really visit the site and read what they say?
After 911, I have been asked about how the building
collapsed in that manner.
But whenever I tried to answer the question, I came
short. I believe the 'melt-down by airplane fuel'
theory is a popular answer for that question. But it
doesn't make any sense to me.

Do you think the gasolin ran down to the bottom and
melt whole columns in that short period of time? As
you can see in many pictures, there was fire only in
local area not in whole building. To achieve the
building collapse in that manner, the columns should
be melt evenly otherwise some columns fail first then
part of the building will tip over into other
buildings.

After 911, I saw an interview on TV. A civil engineer
who was involved in the construction of WTC said the
building had been designed for Boeing 707. But I've
heard that Boeing 767, which is the one hit the WTC,
has simillar weight, size and speed. So, if the
building had been designed for Boeing 707, it should
have been Ok with Boeing 767 also. As you know,
strcutural engineers allow some severe demage for that
kind of large load but not the collapse. If it
collapsed only by the airplane, the engineer can not
avoid the blame.

As you may know, the WTC has shear walls in the middle
of the building continuous from the bottom to the top.
These walls are mainly for lateral loads.(Of course
they also take some vertical loads) And some of the
walls take only a little of vertical loads. If we take
this shear wall as a cantilever beam, how come this
collapse in that manner under the lateral load at the
tip?

Let's suppose we have a 100 storey higerise building
to be demolished in the middle of other buildings. It
must not tip over into other buildings during the
demolition. It would be perfect if it collapse in the
same manner shown in WTC collapse.
How much money & time do you think you have to spend
on the engineering to achieve this kind of perfect
demolition?
What is the possibility of getting this kind of
perfection with a random load? not just once but
twice. I would say "mission impossible".

Whenever people hear "WTC fake collapse", their
response is " shut up you moron" even though they are
approching with reasonable questions. As a structural
engineer you can not say like them because you are the
one who is supposed to answer with reasonable theory.
As I said I don't believe this fake story. I am just
looking for more reasonable answer by engineer.

 --- richard lewis <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com> wrote: > This
email message reminds me how blessed we are to