From: Charles Voelker [mailto:charles(--nospam--at)voelker.cc]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 12:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2x flat blocking in wood shearwalls

I have a building official that says blocking of the unsupported edges must
be 3x. I always specify 2x flat for this condition.  The shear is around
450plf and 3x studs are used at the joints. The official says that the 2x
flat blocking does not give enough penetration for the nail. The shearwall
table for 7/16"OSB with 8d nails requires 1 1/2" penetration so I think it
works. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Charles Voelker, SE