Re: Questions about the Events of September 11 (off topic)

Harold Sprauge wrote:
.....<snip> ..The plane fuel load was the source of multiple fire ignitions,
and the fuel
/ air explosion, and impact removed a lot of fireproofing from the trusses.
The fuel itself flashed off in about 6 to 8 minutes.  From that point on,
office furnishings were the source of the fire.  The fire was NOT hot enough
to melt the steel, but it was hot enough to significantly reduce the steel
strength for the unprotected steel trusses.  <snip>....

I have not read the FEMA document, so please forgive me if I reveal any
significant ignorance.  A friend and I conducted a crude but interesting
backyard experiment the other day to test his idea.  We took a piece of
fireproofing from a jobsite, doused it with lighter fluid to similate jet
fuel and set it on fire.  The fireproofing sample soaked up a LOT of fluid
before it was saturated - it seemed to be an excellent sponge, and it burned
for about 20 minutes.  I wonder if anyone considered the idea that the
fireproofing may have actually helped to hold a burning fire directly on the
steel?

-karen casano