From: Lutz, James [mailto:JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 8:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: General Structural Notes

I am reviewing and marking up the general structural notes that are
included
with our plans. Besides the usual minimum summary of loading assumptions
and
materials strengths, there is a lot of stuff in there that is really
more
like specifications--concrete cover and lap lengths, bar support
requirements, foundation preparation, etc. I think all these notes have
accumulated over the years because it was assumed the workers in the
field
rarely if ever read the specifications, and it was more likely that
people
would pay attention if this information was on the plans. But the notes
duplicate much of what is in the specs and can be the source of errors
and
inconsistencies and my inclination is to get rid of most of it. I think
it
is generally a mistake to try and say the same thing in more than one
place
in the contract package.

I am curious to what the practice of others is in this regard. Lots of
general notes on the plans, or minimalism?

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.
Earth Tech, Inc.

10800 NE 8th Street - 7th Floor
Bellevue, WA 98004