Re: General Structural Notes

This is an age old dilemma(for us also).

I have never figured out how to do this  either.  I have been told that the general notes should not duplicate the specs since the same information should not be in two places.  In that case,  I am not sure what is left for the general notes, other that notes (if any) to installers or erectors.

One thing to note however,  is that while a building typically keeps copies of its plans, it seldom keeps the specs (if the owner ever got them,  they probably got lost the first time the building was sold).

Renovation and repair work must thus rely on the notes on the drawings.  In deciding what to put on the general notes,  you might work backwords and think about what you would want to know if you were doing a repair on the building in 20 years.

Gail S. Kelley, P.E.