RE: General Structural Notes

I generally agree with the idea that drawing notes should cover info which
is essential in the field, whereas specifications should cover information
which is required for supply of materials and quality assurance. I show
concrete cover and lap lengths on the drawings and reference the drawings
from the specs for these items, as I feel that most dimensional data belongs
on the drawings. Nevertheless, specifications often provide descriptions of
some field installation activities, such as concrete placing requirements,
which I do not put in the drawing notes. Other than basic strength of
materials data, I try to minimize duplication of information in drawings and
specifications.

I also try to include information on the drawings which is beneficial in the
future, in case drawings are available but specifications are not, as is
often the case. I've worked on many rehabilitation projects where additional
drawing information would have been very helpful, including material
strengths (many old drawings don't note rebar yield strength), concrete
cover requirements, etc. Floor load info on plans is also very helpful.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236