Friction resistance of drilled piers & UBC Table 18-I-A

For posts/piers embedded in ground, UBC 1806.8.2.3 says: calculate vertical capacity using allowable soil-bearing pressure from Table 18-I-A. Does this mean the friction resistance should be ignored?

If not, where can I find nominal friction capacity (per unit area of pier surface) in absense of a soil report? Could anybody point me to a good reference. Load to be supported is about 6000 lbs, ground has some slope, and contractor perfers piers rather than pad footings.

Thanks.

Do you Yahoo!?