Smooth floor plate

Do any of you use smooth floor plate, as opposed to checker plate, for
platforms or catwalks, etc?  It seems like I have seen smooth floor
plate on some platforms in industrial applications.

If you use smooth plate, is it painted, and are there any problems with
slip resistance? The application I am thinking of is a catwalk where
there is little or no chance of any moisture being present.

Thanks,
Rick Burch
Columbia, SC