Re: Friction resistance of drilled piers & UBC Table 18-I-A

Mr. Chan-
See UBC 1897.10 Alllowable Loads, EXCEPTION for frictional loads allowed if you don't have a geotechnical report.  They are basically 1/6 of the bearing capacity listed in Table 18-I-A not to exceed 500 psf and bearing not allowed.  If you want to have higher allowables, you must get a geotechnical report and the acceptance of the Building Official.
Regard,
Bill Cain, SE
Albany  CA