Sliding

I have a question about sliding in long shear walls. In high seismic regions, sliding can govern footing sizes. Resistance is provided by the friction factor times the dead load weight (times appropriate factors) plus any passive pressure. This can also include return walls.

For long shear walls, it seems like there should be some sort of side friction factor also (similar to caisson skin friction). I have not seen this anywhere, but I would like some input about this possibility.

Thanks
Richard Dahlmann, P.E.
Phoenix