Re: Stainless Steel Nuts

Nels,

> Re:  Do you know where I can find
> definitions of the hardness terms [*** HB, **HRB, etc]?

They are ASTM standardized abbreviations for Hardness.  HRB = Hardness
Rockwell 'B'-scale, for example.  Hardness testing of nuts can be found in
ASTM F606.

> Is there a direct correlation between hardness and resistance to seizing
or
> galling?

It depends more on the alloy than the hardness.  The hardness is more the
product of the processing ----- which often precludes heat-treatment in the
case of most S/S.  (400 series being an exception.)

Have a look at ASTM F594 "Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Nuts".
Also, consider asking Joe DeCosta of Robbins Manufacturing in Fall River, MA
about any questions or concerns you may have.  He chairs our ASTM Fastener's
Committee's Non-Ferrous Subcommittee.

Good luck,
David Sharp
TurnaSure LLC