Re: Sliding - Friction & passive resistance

Static frictional resistance occurs only when the wall is stationary. When the wall is stationary, there is no passive pressure being mobilized. After sliding starts, kinetic frictional resistance comes into play, which is always less than its static counterpart. I believe, the usual factor of 0.25 or 0.3 prescribed by the Geotech is the coefficient of static friction. So, is it rational to combine frictional resistance (i.e. W x static friction coefficient - assuming granular soil, not cohesive soil) and passive resistance together to resist seismic forces for a critical element like shear wall?

What do you think?

 RDAHLMANN(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

I have a question about sliding in long shear walls. In high seismic regions, sliding can govern footing sizes. Resistance is provided by the friction factor times the dead load weight (times appropriate factors) plus any passive pressure. This can also include return walls.

For long shear walls, it seems like there should be some sort of side friction factor also (similar to caisson skin friction). I have not seen this anywhere, but I would like some input about this possibility.

Thanks
Richard Dahlmann, P.E.
Phoenix

Do you Yahoo!?