RE: Sliding - Friction & passive resistance

The friction and passive pressures can be combined as per code realizing
that the code gives you a bare mimimun values.  However, I have seen
reports requiring a reduction factor when the two are combined especially
if the values are somewhat more liberal.  A 2/3 factor is used when
combined effects are utilized.  Just my observation
Samir Ghosn, PE
Harris & Associates