RE: A new angle on "Sliding" - unanchored tanks

AWWA D100 does permit "unanchored" tanks in seismic regions, although it
states that "properly designed anchored tanks retain greater reserve
strength to seismic overload than unanchored tanks". A study of seismic tank
failures by the American Lifelines Alliance (associated with FEMA and ASCE)
indicated that "anchored tanks should perform better than unanchored tanks."
Consequently, I specify that tanks in seismic regions "shall be anchored
tanks". Tank designers often request an option to provide an unanchored tank
but I stick with my specified requirements based on the improved seismic
performance.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311