From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 1:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Shear Friction

ACI 38-02 11.7.8 reads

"Shear-friction reinforcement shall be appro-
priately placed along the shear plan and shall be
anchored to develop the specified yield strength on
both sides by embedment, hooks, or welding to spec-
cial devices."

Normally, development lengths can be reducd by the ratio of the area of
steel required divided by the area of steel provided, but the phrase
"specified yield strength" appears to imply that the full development length
must be provided, regardless of much extra reinforcing is provided.  The
commentary even mentions "full-tensile anchorage"

Normally I would take the conservative approach and provide the full
development length, but for this particular detail, I'm a few inches short
of being able to provide the full development length for hooked bars and
increasing the length creates a lot of other problems.  If I reduce the
development length based upon the area of steel provided, I have more than
3x the shear friction capacity required.

Any comments?

M. David Finley, P.E.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025