Re: A new angle on "Sliding" - Tanks

Hello Ben,

I think Mr. rangaswamy gave some inside of the problem. There are several research papers on this subject and  a good research report prepared by the NZSEE group. Two papers  written by the Austrian Professors   are very good. One paper published in the ASME Applied Mechnics Review Nov. 1990 and similar paper in the proceedings of the Structural Dynamics,, Chapter 5, Springer Verlag, 1991. Both publications are available at the  PEER (FKA EERC) library, University of California, Richmond, CA. I have over two dozens research papers and the NZSEE reoprt.
Himat

>>> aswinpe(--nospam--at)hotmail.com 11/14/02 09:40PM >>>
Hello Ben:

Two major references for the design of tanks on grade would be:
API-650 (American Petroleum Institute: www.api.org ) and AWWA D-100
(American Water works association: www.awwa.org ).  These were written based
on a large database of tanks, including the effects of the 1964 Alaska
earthquake - indicating the validity of the equations.  It was developed by
Wozniak and Mitchell around 1978.  Mr. Wozniak is still active in updating
these codes.

Anchorage is required for either uplift or sliding.  Generally a tank of
this size, 300ft diameter x 40' high, might not slide from my past
experience.  Generally a ringwall is construction around the perimeter of
the tank to keep the soil intact.  The equations in the above stated
publications rely on friction for the sliding.  Mostly the requirement is
for uplift which requires anchorage.

I would suggest you to read the following paper presented in 1999 SEAOC
convention (I co-authored this paper under the guidance of Richard Hess)
which talks in detail about the basic of tank design but gearing more
towards the dynamic analysis of tanks.

http://www.seaint.org/seaocconvention/convention1999/Proceedings/DynamicAnal
ysis.pdf

If you are looking to codify my point of view of the API and the AWWA stated
earlier, please refer to 1997 UBC section 1634.4 (2).

Hope this helps.

Aswin Rangaswamy, P.E.